Current:Home > ScamsUN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault -Capitatum
UN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 17:15:54
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — The United Nations said it will repatriate nine peacekeepers from a South African contingent in eastern Congo who were accused of sexual assault and other abuse.
The U.N. decided to immediately repatriate the peacekeepers and a senior officer of the South African army “due to the seriousness of the allegations against them,” the organization said in a statement on Friday.
The senior officer allegedly tried to hinder a probe into the allegations and threatened other peacekeepers. Two other indicted senior officers will also be replaced, the U.N. said.
More than 12,000 U.N. peacekeepers are deployed in eastern Congo, where more than 100 armed groups are active.
The U.N. said its preliminary assessment found that the nine peacekeepers were “fraternizing after curfew hours” in prohibited bars where prostitution takes place. The soldiers were also alleged to have assaulted staff of the peacekeeping mission and the military police who were trying to arrest them, the statement added.
South African authorities have indicated their “full cooperation, in particular through the deployment of a national investigator,” the U.N. said, promising that victims would be assisted and that the peacekeeping mission would remain committed to upholding U.N. standards.
Such accusations of sexual abuse by U.N. peacekeepers are not new in various parts of the world, from Congo to Haiti where peacekeepers are deployed. The victims in many instances are children.
The abuses are particularly rampant in Congo, which accounted for one-third of the nearly 2,000 sexual abuse and exploitation complaints made against the U.N. worldwide in 2017.
The U.N. has also been accused of not doing enough in handling such allegations. Last year, Secretary-General António Guterres said the organization has “not succeeded in all respects, but neither have we stood still” in handling the sexual abuse crisis.
veryGood! (997)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- The Best Montessori Toy Deals For Curious Babies & Toddlers
- Every MLB team wants to improve starting pitching. Supply and demand make that unrealistic
- Sumatran rhino, critically endangered species, gives birth at Indonesian sanctuary: Watch
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Israel-Hamas cease-fire extended 2 days, Qatar says, amid joyous reunions for freed hostages, Palestinian prisoners
- Brazil’s Lula picks his justice minister for supreme court slot
- Massive crocodile sighting: Watch 14-foot 'Croczilla' in Florida Everglades
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Biden not planning to attend COP28 climate conference in Dubai
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Chinese AI firm SenseTime denies research firm Grizzly’s claim it inflated its revenue
- Trump expected to testify in New York civil fraud trial Dec. 11
- Google will delete inactive accounts within days. Here's how to save your data.
- 'Most Whopper
- High stakes and glitz mark the vote in Paris for the 2030 World Expo host
- Hurry! These Extended Cyber Monday Sales Won't Last Forever: Free People, Walmart, Wayfair, & More
- Vikings opt for caution and rule Jefferson out ahead of game vs. Bears for his 7th absence
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Purdue is new No. 1 as top of USA TODAY Sports men's basketball poll gets reshuffled
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: This $300 Backpack Is on Sale for $65 and It Comes in 4 Colors
Bears outlast Vikings 12-10 on 4th field goal by Santos after 4 interceptions of Dobbs
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Kenosha man gets life in prison for fatally stabbing his father, stepmother with a machete in 2021
'The Voice' contestant Tom Nitti leaves Season 24 for 'personal reasons,' will not return
Sierra Leone’s leader says most behind the weekend attacks are arrested, but few details are given